January 13, 2010

what's in a name?

If I had known you'd turn out like this, I never would have named you what I did.

I'm not exactly sure what that means but I sort of laughed anyway when my mother said this to me. I don't know what images the name Jenni/Jenny/Jenniy or Jennifer inspires but apparently the Jenniy that I portray doesn't exactly mesh with whatever my mother had in mind when she chose the name.

In my head, I went over the list of me items wondering just which ones offend the name so much. Is it being a single mom working and going to school and handling it on my own? Is it my recent college graduation (with a 4.0 I might add)...as in am I too smart for the name? Her tone of voice surely didn't make it seem like a positive thing. Could it be that I'm divorced? Not sensible considering she is too. Is it the fact that I've never really been in trouble or my independence or my bluntness?

I'm a beautiful little tattooed, gum chewing freak (movie reference). Sinead O'Rebellion. Shock me, shock me, shock me with that deviant behavior. That's the problem. My style--hair and clothes and makeup, my tattoos, my choice in music all violates the name I carry. My frankness, my free spirited nature, my lack of care for what the rest of the world thinks of me, my enjoyment of wine and whiskey and other mind altering substances, my disinterest in keeping my house spotless, and my love of fucking are apparently all wrong for my name. I think it's a little too late though to start changing the very essence of my being to suit the moniker I've been stuck with since birth, though. So, perhaps it's time for a name change.

Which begs me to ask the question... what are Jennifers supposed to be like?

And also, what sort of name should a Freak Like Me be signing autographs with???

PAM???

I'm willing to take suggestions.


Also, I often feel like I'd have fit in just fine with these characters especially since I would have let Daniel (james franco) and Ken (Seth Rogen) double team me every chance I got... and okay, if I were stoned, I would have let Nick (Jason Segel) and probably Kim (Busy Phillips) join in. Okay so maybe every now and then I wouldn't have to be stoned for that. I'm an honest girl.




Freaks and Geeks

7 Comments:

Nex911 said...

I too have also not been living up to others expectations for many years. Maybe we can start a club or a cult or something.

And

Seth Rogan?....Really? REALLY? wow you're gonna lose some cool points with Josh for that.

jenniy said...

yeah...i totally did. he made fun of me for days for it. i just can't help myself. i have weaknesses for chubby jewish boys that make me laugh, apparently.

if we start a cult, can it be a hippy compound type thing? i'm tired of working. we can garden our own vegetables and sell hemp products at flea markets or something.

Creedish said...

Funny story.
The question was, if you could fuck any celebrity, who would it be?
I was like Eva Mendez.
She was like Seth Rogan.
I was like... don't touch me.

jenniy said...

that's like almost an exact quote. and then it went on and on. and it still pops up

Anonymous said...

I think a name is something as a guideline for those of us with parents who buy those spock and name books. Of course, we all don't get those picture perfect Norman Rockwell families now do we? Who cares in my opinion. I've grown quite attached to my name. I find it strength and guidance to the potential that I may have. What you should focus on is the fact most no longer require the name given to us. How come we have names, when we are sorted by social security number? I think we should all start calling each other by these barcodes to keep things straight. Took me two years to remember mine, but it was the most important number of my life. My name's meaning is The Angel of Death who brings forth light from God. Think I should live up to that or stick with the ten digit suppliment that sorts me from you?

Bag Man said...

After a comment like that, I don't think she is living up to her name. MOM.

wastingawesome said...

I agree with Anonymous. Not so much about the barcodes (although i sort of have one but that's another story).

If my name was Anonymous i would have gotten attached to it too!

Post a Comment

about me. not really.

dear you,

i don't talk about my child or being a mom. i don't talk about my garden. i won't mention my craftiness (often) or how much i save each week with coupons. if you're looking for that sort of thing, you're in the wrong place.

instead, let's abandon the tethers of domestication for a moment and remember what it's like to laugh at vulgarity and the world at large.

xo,

j

talk amongst ourselves


ShoutMix chat widget

Followers

Powered by FeedBurner

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Contact Us Here

boobietasselsforbuddha
@yahoo.com