January 13, 2010

peaches and metal

I'm a Georgia girl born and raised whether I like it or not. I think I've accepted the fact or rather more lovingly embraced it in the last couple of years. And, as luck would have it, there are a few good reasons not to mumble through the state name as quickly as possible when someone asks where I'm from....at least if you have a taste for metal. And I do. Oh, boy do I ever.

Savannah, with its touristy attractions and quaint atmosphere, has been home to several bands I enjoy of late. Spin magazine even detailed as much in a recent article which you can read here. Baroness, which is, by far, my favorite band of the now hails from Savannah along with Kylesa and Black Tusk which also rank pretty high on my list. In fact, not too long ago, I made the 5 hour trek to the city just to see Kylesa and Baroness in concert. It was epic...well worth the time and money spent to get there. I remember standing near the stage, sweaty, completely charged with energy, and feeling so fucking free. So...me.
Here is me in my lovely Kylesa tee:



Black Tusk is the least known and newest of the three bands. They formed in 2005 and have one full length album, Passage to Purgatory, which was released in 2009 from label Hyperrealist. The band has since signed on with Relapse Records which also carries Baroness as well as other greats like Birds of Prey, Mastodon, High on Fire, Rwake, Jucifer, Coalesce (already featured here) and more. The band labels themselves swamp metal but carries that sludge/doom kind of sound that I've been enjoying so often of late. They've recently released songs on several split lps which are worth getting your hands on. So, without further ado, please enjoy the fuck out of this Georgia swamp metal....






p.s. here's a couple of baroness and kylesa vids which will hopefully inspire you to check into them futher.








Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

2 Comments:

Bag Man said...

Very cool music. I like it a lot. Savannah is a cool town. I was there for a couple days a few years ago. I had a good time. By the way, you look more than cute in that t-shirt. You look amazing! Damn.

jenniy said...

well thank ya.

savannah's on the top of my list for moves when i'm done with my masters. it's laid back and pretty diverse especially with tourists coming in all the time.

Post a Comment

about me. not really.

dear you,

i don't talk about my child or being a mom. i don't talk about my garden. i won't mention my craftiness (often) or how much i save each week with coupons. if you're looking for that sort of thing, you're in the wrong place.

instead, let's abandon the tethers of domestication for a moment and remember what it's like to laugh at vulgarity and the world at large.

xo,

j

talk amongst ourselves


ShoutMix chat widget

Followers

Powered by FeedBurner

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Contact Us Here

boobietasselsforbuddha
@yahoo.com