January 3, 2010

midnight pie a la mode


My dad passed away a number of years ago. this isn't a sad one though, don't worry. His birthday was last week. So, naturally, he was on my mind. As a kid he wasn't always around, but he made that effort, every now and then, and really came through. Just a simple man, confused by fatherhood, trying to make his kid smile.

He was a trucker. When he was young, he hauled gas. By the time I came around he was hauling milk. I have yet to figure out if there is a hauling hierarchy amongst long-haul truckers. Who ends up at the top of that pyramid? Logs, Cement, Houses, Military Equipment, Excavators and construction vehicles, Gas, Milk, Nuclear Waste. I mean really... who's the king of that hill?

" Look at that milk hauling loser! I'm hauling fucking M1A Abrams Tanks over here!! Yee Haw! "

A lot of the time we spent together was on the road. I heard more Cash, Twitty and haggard than i ever would have otherwise, I am sure. But you can't beat two classic country tapes for 5 bucks at the truckstop. I've also had burns on my arm from smokestacks and to this day I can often identify the make and model year of any given tractor on the highway.


Sometimes, late at night, I would fall asleep and only wake up when we pulled to a stop. He would treat me with the love of a father and the respect of a navigator. And he would always spring for apple pie and a tall glass of milk. Never stuck me with the bill. We would talk about stuff a 7 yr old talks about with their dad. He would flirt with the waitresses. They would flirt back. He was good at making the small talk and people felt good around him. He was everything cool under the sun. I miss him incredibly.

Also, some thought he looked a lot like Kenny Rogers. So it's fitting that i leave you with this.

Here's some Eagles covers by Birds of Prey.



Album was hard to find and it's really good. If you know BOP, this is different. If you don't, then, get This


and check them out Here for more.

1 Comments:

jenniy said...

i fucking love this and i love you for finding it for me

Post a Comment

about me. not really.

dear you,

i don't talk about my child or being a mom. i don't talk about my garden. i won't mention my craftiness (often) or how much i save each week with coupons. if you're looking for that sort of thing, you're in the wrong place.

instead, let's abandon the tethers of domestication for a moment and remember what it's like to laugh at vulgarity and the world at large.

xo,

j

talk amongst ourselves


ShoutMix chat widget

Followers

Powered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Contact Us Here

boobietasselsforbuddha
@yahoo.com