January 8, 2010

chip off the old rocker

When I'm getting to know someone, one of the first questions I ask or perhaps one of the first things I check out on an internet profile concerns music. Quickest way to turn me off? Tell me, "oh, I listen to everything." Really? Do you? You listen to gospel and grindcore and country and hip hop and sludge metal? The confused look on your face tells me you have no idea what I'm talking about. I usually attempt to ask if that person has any favorites...favorite band or singer or song or album or anything. That response isn't usually too encouraging either. To me, it means you probably haven't vested that much interest in music and might as well be dead.

Music is life.

I learned that whole deal at an early age thanks to my dad. You know, he wasn't the easiest person to live with...certainly to be raised by. He was way too into drinking and drugs. His temper was wickedly short....to put it mildly. I don't think he was really cut out for fatherhood. He died 3 years ago. Cancer. And actually, he would have celebrated his birthday just a couple days ago, so of course, he's been on my mind. We weren't close but it was still a big loss. I held a lot of resentment towards him for not really having a childhood. I mean, going to court at 3 because your daddy was arrested for distribution of cocaine isn't exactly keeping up a stable environment conducive to child raising. After I found out he was sick and even after he died, I had the desire to let all that go. Why hold on to it? It certainly wasn't doing me any good. I just really had no idea how the fuck I was going to do that.

Gradually, it happened. I've gone through a lot of changes of my own in the last couple of years... alot had to do with a musical evolution that started with a suggestion to listen to Baroness. Music...music I like anyway...means a fuckload to me. Elevates my moods. Harmonizes my emotions. Frees my spirit. Somewhere along my evolutionary road, I began to realize that Dad taught me all that. I can picture him clearly singing along to Don Henley's (from The Eagles) The Heart of the Matter. "I've been trying to get down to the heart of the matter. But my will gets weak and my thoughts seem to scatter. But I think it's about forgiveness. Forgiveness. Even if, even if you don't love me anymore." He'd turn it up on that part when he'd have company over and tell them to listen to that shit closely. It's a good song. I can still sing along to most of it even now. And of course, Eric Clapton's "Cocaine" could get him laughing and fist pumping like a champ...crazy old fuck. He introduced me to some greats. Janis, Jimi, the Allman Brothers, the Stones, Zeppelin, Cream, Bread, Foghat, the Eagles...Hotel California still gets my hips moving, like it or not, fuckers..., the Doobie Brothers, Charlie Daniels (stfu), and more, more, more. Dad knew his shit and it makes me smile to think back to him laughing, smiling, even tearing up over songs. I got my love of sharing music from him, too. I don't remember much about growing up....side effect of a fucked up childhood...but I do remember him making people listen to the different songs he loved and keying them in on the best parts while they had their drinks and whatever else may have been on the menu that day.

Dad,

I would be much less of a woman if it weren't for you teaching me how much music could mean...how much it could move you and connect you to others. Thank you. It is about forgiveness, isn't it? I love you, you crazy sonofabitch.

always,

j


5 Comments:

wastingawesome said...

while i would never utter that phrase, and hearing it from someone else makes me rethink further contact, and despite not having a gospel record in my possession, the answers are yes,yes,yes,yes,and yes. but i don't listen to radio, so there must be something in my car to suit all moods.

Esoteric said...

I've heard that in more ways than one. Even though if my dad gets to listening to Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins, you slowly see his ears fold back like a cats, then poof you're in hot pursuit of the joker in the coronermobile. In other words fasten your seatbelts and grab ahold of something. On a serious note my dad's a large part of the reason I listen to what I do. He's still a big fan of southern rock and biker rock which were my first stepping stones.

Porco said...

oh wow. is this the music nazi convention?

Jason Smith said...

Well, it is hard to put in words what he did good, because it seemed that he always seemed to have us heading in the opposite direction... Although it always seemed that way, he did have a warm side and could open up, it just seemed to be a little too late... One thing I can say though, music just wouldn't be the same as it is now without living through the life and times of "Big Storm"!!! I can see him riding around in the old car (you know the one) playing the air guitar to some Mike and The Mechanics, Starship, Deep Purple and the list goes on.... Miss you old man!! Life just hasn't been the same!!

Philemon said...

My dad had some great taste in music before he got married and got religion. All the really awesome records I have were his leftovers...Joplin, Dylan, Mama's & The Papa's, Sinatra...good shit. Even now if we're in the car together and I have the 60's station on and turn up a good song, he's surprised I know it. He flipped when he heard my Rat Pack Christmas cd.

I never thought I'd pay for radio, but I love my XM. Whatever mood I'm in it's a click away, from Liquid Metal to Smooth Jazz.

Post a Comment

about me. not really.

dear you,

i don't talk about my child or being a mom. i don't talk about my garden. i won't mention my craftiness (often) or how much i save each week with coupons. if you're looking for that sort of thing, you're in the wrong place.

instead, let's abandon the tethers of domestication for a moment and remember what it's like to laugh at vulgarity and the world at large.

xo,

j

talk amongst ourselves


ShoutMix chat widget

Followers

Powered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Contact Us Here

boobietasselsforbuddha
@yahoo.com