January 23, 2010

Set in stone

What's wrong with being wrong?


This is a serious question. It's how we learn...by being wrong and then figuring out what's right by trial and error or asking someone who knows already.


Lately though it seems that the norm is that nobody is ever wrong...about anything. Being wrong seems to be an alien concept to some people. It's not wrong, it's just the way they see it. It's just a different point of view.


And while opinions don't always fall under right and wrong, many things do. Some things are just fundamentally wrong. Some things don't work no matter how hard you try to make them work.


We are not infallible. We make mistakes. Sometimes we lose. And it's okay to be wrong. It's okay to come in second. It's what motivates us to be better. It's what makes us strive to broaden our knowledge and work hard so we won't finish second the next time. So that next time we won't have the wrong answer.


Instead there seems to be this idea that everyone is a winner regardless of where they finish. That if you disagree with my idea then there is something wrong with YOU. You have something against ME and therefore your disagreement with my idea is something personal and not that my idea is wrong. And therefore I don't have to listen to your ideas and learn from them. I don't have to accept a differing point of view because that point of view is biased against me. It can't have anything to do with my actual idea, which must be perfect because I thought of it.


I expect that kind of behavior from children. Usually they grow out of it...if they're allowed to grow. And we grow through adversity, not by being carried to the finish line.


We are standing still. Living dead monoliths to our own fragile egos.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

You probably think your right but your wrong.

jenniy said...

it's frustrating to deal with this sort of attitude all the time. too many people are this way.

Post a Comment

about me. not really.

dear you,

i don't talk about my child or being a mom. i don't talk about my garden. i won't mention my craftiness (often) or how much i save each week with coupons. if you're looking for that sort of thing, you're in the wrong place.

instead, let's abandon the tethers of domestication for a moment and remember what it's like to laugh at vulgarity and the world at large.

xo,

j

talk amongst ourselves


ShoutMix chat widget

Followers

Powered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Contact Us Here

boobietasselsforbuddha
@yahoo.com