January 20, 2010

Cartoons are bad?

"Oh, my darling. Oh, my darling. My Clementine!" Boy, I remember that blue hick dog singing and filling my after school with excitement. I sat and watched cartoons like most, and always wanted Coyote to the Road Runner. I watched re-runs of Looney Tunes and Hanna Barbera like it was crack wrapped in pure sugar. I talk often with friends at work about them with adult eyes and noticed most if not all of the old cartoons were filled with sex, drugs, alcohol, a threat of beating the ol' wife, transvestites, gay and lesbian bashing, gang bangs, redneck and hick bashing, racism, pedophile activities, and plain violence that had me laughing till bowled over in pain. Subtle mentions, but they are there. Heck Disney loves to chuck a joke or two for us to catch. They are there and now has me thinking they are the reason this generation is pretty screwed up and tormented. Weee! The party has just begun on why you want to see that donkey show.

Wait! Where are the censors? I know those red tape bastards are around somewhere. We can see a woman's boob but not the nipple? I see a protest spring up every other day about some show or movie causing damage to the youth of America. They have ready made signs and ad campaigns just waiting for the next taint on our kid's souls. When South Park came out I thought this show had it all. A good sense of humor, edgy, and true shock value to have me excited to see what else would be churned out. Then came the bleeding hearts and parents of this great "free" minded country to stomp it's guts out. Long speeches and dress codes barring the show. So, tuning the station to Bugs Bunny must be better and can't possibly damage anyone.

What's up Doc? Well Doc, this bunny, filling the shoes of Groucho Marx, is hands down the funniest rabbit gnawing on a carrot ever to grace the screen. He is also the poster rabbit for many of today's outsiders. This rabbit dressed pretty snazzy in pin up dresses and bikinis, kissed and fondled other men, picked on every race, creed, and religion to have tax free stake in this country. Did he get high? You bet your furry tail he did. He humiliated the redneck Yosemite Sam and hick Elmer Fudd more times than you can count. No cool bunny is without his Daffy the Duck, which can be a whole another stereotype as a black mallard. This is what we watched after many hours of those Looney Tune shorts. "Safe" television didn't check their political correctness and sensitivity with the censors cause why would they? No censor has a funny bone except maybe in their ass.

Depictions of the times these cartoons were and it shows a huge downfall in viewing. The nineties shown the first wave of after school specials and cartoons that had to teach youth to be good little boys and girls from my memory. GI Joe, Captain Planet, Ghostbusters and many of the kid versions of our old time favorites. For a cartoon about a constant battle between good and evil (Cobra looked pretty similar to Middle Eastern military) where no one really died. We and our younger siblings were spoon fed about recycling, sharing our toys, and all that other crap that makes us upstanding citizens. Violence was water downed versions of laser tag. No drama death scenes and everyone recovered from wounds incurred. Sucks getting blasted with a payload from an Apache helicopter and only have a bandaged head from a falling pebble eh? At least our saviors helped push further that feminine males in skin tight outfits would save the day and help keep the air we breathed clean. Thank you rainbow America for teaching a Mr. Gore to make a movie that left me bored to tears. Scared me to no end, but I did get a few needed winks with my date eager for the next instalment. Is there hope?

I'm glad my teachers of the world were Bugs and the gang. They showed me humor is the way to tolerance of difference. Showed me it was ok to be different. I think today they try to hard to mimic the subtle prick at society, times a hundred. All rush and bang to shock the world. Take notes and you might not get the bleeding hearts attention and still get your point across. I'll still tune the station to those outspoken and rude shows that want to point and laugh at the Conservative realm for being hypocrites and pricks to tell us what we should be watching. I just prefer the inside joke and enjoying something slipping by big brother. So order up from Acme, put on your favorite hunting cap, cause it's rabbit season...no duck season....no rabbit season...no duck season, bang!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

about me. not really.

dear you,

i don't talk about my child or being a mom. i don't talk about my garden. i won't mention my craftiness (often) or how much i save each week with coupons. if you're looking for that sort of thing, you're in the wrong place.

instead, let's abandon the tethers of domestication for a moment and remember what it's like to laugh at vulgarity and the world at large.

xo,

j

talk amongst ourselves


ShoutMix chat widget

Followers

Powered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Contact Us Here

boobietasselsforbuddha
@yahoo.com