January 24, 2010

Dream a little dream

The dream is a little hidden door in the innermost and most secret recesses of the soul, opening into that cosmic night which was psyche long before there was any ego-consciousness, and which will remain psyche no matter how far our ego-consciousness extends.
Some dude named Carl Jung said that way back in the early 1900s. He founded analytical psychology and emphasized that the human psyche is best understood through dreams, myths, art, religion, and philosophy. As in, a good way to really understand the depths of someone is to look at their dreams and he is widely associated with dream analysis.

I'm not so sure. If it's true, I might just be in trouble.

I do think that it's inevitable for your feelings, fears, desires to come out in your dreams. Common sense. Some propose you can find common themes among everyone's dreams. Dream symbols. There's site after site, book after book of dream dictionaries or encyclopedias. But, to me, this just seems like total horseshit.

For example, if you dream about a butternut squash (vegetable), it's supposed to signify your need for spiritual nourishment. ok. really? could you just be hungry for some tasty squash casserole? hm? i think it's possible.

Alligators can represent "treachery, deceit, and hidden instincts. It may be a signal for you to take a new perspective on a situation. It may also represent your ability to move between the material world of waking life and the emotional, repressed world of the unconscious. Alternatively, the alligator represents healing powers and qualities. An alligator also suggests that you are thick-skinned or insensitive." Think we got everything covered? Seems like it could be anything. Also, if you're running from a gator, it's supposed to be that you're actually running from some big painful experience in your life.

What if you're fucking kicking the alligator's ass? I had a dream like that once. I was floating downriver on an intertube. There were lots of other people floating, too. It seemed almost like a migration. Then, out of nowhere, a ridiculously huge monster gator attacks. It went something like this:



The alligator chases me to my childhood home which is on the river in the dream but isn't actually on a river. I get myself and another person inside the house and in the bathroom. I fought like hell but it's an impossible David and Goliath type struggle isn't it? In essence using the above definition, I'm fighting some painful part of my unconscious related to my childhood that is pretty much impossible to tackle or so it seems. Heavy. I could see that. Things weren't easy and I've pushed a lot away. However, I think it just means I'm a badass. Look at me taking on the monstergator. Perhaps the actual meaning of this dream is "Do Not Fuck With Me".

Zombie attacks are supposed to represent stress or feeling overwhelmed by everything going on in your life. Ingenius, no? What kind of rocket scientist did it take to come up with this one? I used to have a recurring dream about my dad. It was set up sort of video game style and he was the major boss at the end. (Daddy Drug Lord?) At some point, I had to take out this huge group of zombies. It was a different scenario each time really but there was always a huge mob of these fuckers which usually resembled something similar to this album cover:




Some of you might say that this is obviously from media overload of videogames and zombie flicks. Wrong. If you know me well, you'll also know that I'm not really into either one. Well, unless you're talking old school super mario brothers. then, it's on, fuckers. i'll play you all night long. but killing games? no. dawn of the dead? oh no. I'm not into it. But there I was in dreamland taking out zombies like some Lara Croft badass girl often using a machete and then busting into my dad's house covered in gore to hunt him down. I never killed him in my dreams. I always woke up before it got that far. Sometimes he came looking for me and I'd have to hide in ditches or in the woods so he wouldn't have the advantage. I didn't start having the dream until I was no longer living with him and he wasn't a threat. So, I'm not sure how the above definition applies. I stopped having it after he died, though. Weird, no?

I have sex dreams like anyone else and dreams about my job, my friends, sometimes family. It's really inevitable that what you do during the day comes out in your dreams. I've never flown in them which is a disappointment. I have been forced to jump off buildings though. I've witnessed murders and gotten to hang out my murdered friend which is always good. But, perhaps the weirdest of all and the thing that makes me wonder about myself if carl jung is right about dreams leading to our inner core is a dream I had about Bill Cosby. I was sitting in a high backed antique chair eating a banana while he shaved my legs and told me jokes. I woke up the happiest motherfucker alive.




1 Comments:

Bag Man said...

Ha! Bill Cosby shaving your legs while your eating a banana. You should pitch that to NBC. That has hit show written all over it!

Post a Comment

about me. not really.

dear you,

i don't talk about my child or being a mom. i don't talk about my garden. i won't mention my craftiness (often) or how much i save each week with coupons. if you're looking for that sort of thing, you're in the wrong place.

instead, let's abandon the tethers of domestication for a moment and remember what it's like to laugh at vulgarity and the world at large.

xo,

j

talk amongst ourselves


ShoutMix chat widget

Followers

Powered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Contact Us Here

boobietasselsforbuddha
@yahoo.com