February 25, 2010

Tell me lies...tell me sweet little lies...

(This was inspired by a big phony of a lady that I completely adore, but who can’t hold onto a screen name for more than 5 seconds)


Why do people lie so readily on the internet?

Masks. We all wear them and carry different personas around with us. It's human nature and not always a conscious act of deception. We use them to protect ourselves from those that would use what we conceal against us.
We use them for adaption to specific situations so we can fit in or stand out or just pass by undetected. We use them because we can't quite share everything that we are with someone, or we just want to get into the pants of that sweet little catholic girl with the glasses and shaky morals. Who we really are is often so complex that we barely even understand ourselves. Some of us even hide from ourselves, or from truths to horrible to accept.

Back to the bold and blatant lies though.

People lie in greater quantity online because it's so much easier to lie when you don't have to look someone in the eye. When searching and accusatory eyes aren't probing you and reading every little nuance.
Marking every little drop of sweat and nervous fidget that is screaming "YOU'RE A FUCKING LIAR!" (Ooooh, all caps! That's serious bizness!)

Some lies are born of those masks we wear, and those masks can be even more convincing when you're just words or still images on a screen. They can get so caught up in this "facade" they've created that when someone gets close they panic and bury themselves deeper in lies. It would be much easier to just admit they aren't quite the person that they presented themselves to be and go from there.
And the truth is no matter how many masks we put on, as people get closer to us they begin to see past them anyway.

I think I'm just going to cut and paste this for my own blog today because I am feeling terribly lazy.


I probably shouldn’t have cut and pasted that part. (This was originally a comment in another blog. I suppose I could just erase all of this now, but my laziness knows no bounds. I realize I'm actually being less lazy by explaining all of this and now I'm babbling in order to justify a laziness that no longer exists. Focus moron!)


Is lying always a bad thing?


Lying sometimes gets a bum rap.


People always say they want the truth. I’m not going to quote from that horrible movie, but I think you know where I’m going. The truth cuts. It cuts those we care about even more deeply than those we don't. Lies can be merciful. It's one of those double edged swords that people can't help slicing themselves and those they care about to ribbons with.


Ignorance is bliss. This is probably the most accurate phrase ever uttered. Too much bliss though, and you lose touch with reality. Too much truth and your smile disappears. Envy those that can achieve the happy medium.


Lying isn't always bad. Nothing is black and white. Everything is grey. Why you choose to lie is what matters. The consequences of the truth are what matters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

about me. not really.

dear you,

i don't talk about my child or being a mom. i don't talk about my garden. i won't mention my craftiness (often) or how much i save each week with coupons. if you're looking for that sort of thing, you're in the wrong place.

instead, let's abandon the tethers of domestication for a moment and remember what it's like to laugh at vulgarity and the world at large.

xo,

j

talk amongst ourselves


ShoutMix chat widget

Followers

Powered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Contact Us Here

boobietasselsforbuddha
@yahoo.com