March 9, 2010

the fall back plan.

I am, like most other people, a whole fantastical list of adjectives and descriptive phrases, positive and negative, which even in summation fails to even break the surface of the whole. I am fair skinned. short. freckled. very ticklish. I'm a mom. An avid reader. One of those people who can't whistle or roll their rr's even after their spanish speaking boytoy tried his best to instruct on this matter back when they were 18. I am dorky and sarcastic and near sided. I breathe music. I have a crooked smile. I'm honest. Sometimes too honest. I am always late and procrastinate. Fuck do I. I'm a daughter, a sister, and the coolest of aunts. A shower singer and skirt n heels wearer. A speeder, a tattooed, gum chewing liberal. A dreamer. I fancy myself a writer. I'm green eyed but not with envy and a Georgia accented pharmacy technician. I am also a grad student.

Grad school. Grad fucking school. I have this whole plan laid out that says I am smart, driven, goal oriented and motivated. I have a bachelor of science in criminal justice and am working on my master's in clinical psychology. So. The Big Plan. After I have my master's, I'd like to work in a state hospital on the forensic unit while I continue school to get a docorate and get licensed. The ultimate goal with the degree is to design and improve alternatives to incarceration programs which focus on rehabilitating nonviolent offenders instead of throwing them inside a prison cell to learn some better tricks of the trade. I also intend to rework the types of risk assessments used to determine which offenders are eligible and would benefit best from said alternative programs. I'm passionate on the subject. Soap-boxy even. In a nutshell, without sounding preachy, I think the criminal justice system is fucked, flawed beyond the comprehension of the general public, and if these types of programs are utilized more, we could see some improvement in budget restraints which tend to let violent criminals back onto the streets earlier as well as a drop in crime rates altogether. I want to make change...like Obama except I'm short, white, and have huge tits.

But, here's the thing...I'm in school. I am in all kinds of school loan debt. I'm going through the motions and I am HONESTLY passion filled to the brim on the subject matter. However, I still, fuck still, think of this as my fall back plan.

What's that?

oh.

What's my for real plan?

um...

well...

I WANNA DANCE!!! (movie reference and for the love of the god i don't believe in, someone better get it)

Kidding. I want to own my own bar and write novels. That's it. That's pretty much all I have except for some ideas I have about what sort of goings on I'd like to have at the bar. Live music and all that. It's a huge difference from the well thought out, goal oriented, society benefiting deal from above. But, that's me. Some days I wear slacks, a nice pinstripe blouse, and a blazer to work paired with chuck taylors on my feet. I am, in so many ways, a big fucking contradiction. It's evident in everything I do when you're looking for the clues.

Why a bar? I dunno. I like alcohol? I mean, I do, but that's not it. This past year I took a 5 hour trek to Savannah to see 2 of my favorite bands play live at this awesome little bar on Congress Ave called The Jinx. Baroness and Kylesa. Both had started playing there at that bar, but it was Baroness' 2nd full length album release event. During their encore, Baizley, vocals and guitar, got pretty choked up talking about getting their start right there at the Jinx. I want to be a part of that.

And writing novels? I guess that should be obvious. I have a lot to say, I suppose.

So, if you have some ideas to raise funds in support of opening said bar, I will gladly give you a free "drinks for life" coupons to share with your co-conspirators.

10 Comments:

wastingawesome said...

i'll put some funds up on the following conditions.
1. a giant stuffed moose carcase hanging from the ceiling in a full gallop
2. big ass maple leaf behind the bar
3. the bar serves 50 on tap...this is essential. (americans won't understand...canucks i count on you)
4. i get to watch you dance.

jenniy said...

regardless of my lack of knowledge of #3, i will give the following:

no fucking moose carcass and fine to the rest

wastingawesome said...

but taxidermy is cool no? i thought maybe you had a survivalist type connection who could work that out...

im maxflex on the moose, you get less funds, but you get some nonetheless.

Old Goat said...

Start a religion. Use the funds to open a bar. Fermentationism. Work out some tenets. Develop some public rituals that look very serious. Develop private rituals that are secret and involve nudity. (This is necessary to prevent those in the inner circle from leaving- you can blackmail them.) Dionysian hedonism with a veneer of serious spirituality. Strongly encourage tithing. (especially at events after the wine has begun to flow). Label scoffers as oppressive and religiously insensitive. Demonize those who discourage members from joining or remaining.

Anonymous said...

Understand your concern about criminal justice approach and interest in non violent offenders. Speaking from experience, and I have it, the difficultly lies in developing programs that truly work. Let me assure you much has been attempted, little has succeeded. When rigorously evaluated, very, very few programs make a significant difference. Yes, some research says they do, but when examined closely, that research fails to meet any reasonable test of rigor. Very frustrating fact, we have a very difficult time modifying human behavior. A sad reality. Harry from POF.

DP said...

Girl... - here's the deal - what I've discovered (only recently, mind you) is that you can effectively do anything that you put your mind to doing. ANYTHING. So, that said, what will YOU do? - stop wasting time...

jenniy said...

I'm on it, dp. on it as much as i can be given the times at least.

now, as far as novels...i just need some good material.

DP said...

You need some good material? - are you kidding me? - puleeese - you're living the good material! Here - I'll set it up for you...

...by day, "Julia Flannery" was your ordinary nuclear pharmacist - by night, JF was altogether different. Follow this 52-volume novella through a year in JF's life - available at Border's, Barnes & Nobles, and Books-a-Million...

Whoa - who needs to follow the "1-book per year at hogwarts" model when you can simply crank out (over the period of - say - 5 years) 52 novellas. - bridges the gap between the "24" model and Hogwarts. OK - perhaps you start the first series off with a mere 12 - or better yet - 4 (the seasons).

Before I say another word here - we need to draft up a contract! :)

jenniy said...

let's work on this...

LowPerformanceAllstar said...

I think it would be better for society if you reformed the criminal justice system and then did the bar thing for retirement. i want to be the lounge singer there. Write the novels the whole time.

Post a Comment

about me. not really.

dear you,

i don't talk about my child or being a mom. i don't talk about my garden. i won't mention my craftiness (often) or how much i save each week with coupons. if you're looking for that sort of thing, you're in the wrong place.

instead, let's abandon the tethers of domestication for a moment and remember what it's like to laugh at vulgarity and the world at large.

xo,

j

talk amongst ourselves


ShoutMix chat widget

Followers

Powered by FeedBurner

Search This Blog

Contact Us Here

boobietasselsforbuddha
@yahoo.com